A View From the Bridge



English Literature AS A level Wider Reading
"A View from the Bridge" - Arthur Miller (First performed 1955) Analysis


Based on Greek tragedy, "A View from the Bridge" is set in Syracuse, New York. It follows the introduction of Italian immigrants Rodolpho and Marco a to an already established family whose living is made working on the docks. When Eddie's niece (who he has brought up) falls in love with Rodolpho, Eddie finds it hard to handle. He's caught somewhere in a mid life crisis with the shadow of familial and masculine pride on one side, and his calm, level headed wife, Beatrice on the other. The play is narrated by Alfieri, a local lawyer who seeks equality and justice for the family. He gives us a viewpoint from the bridge - the bridge between law and justice - two critical and disputed factors of the play. Unlike many modern literature texts in the struggle for identity, our tragic hero is Eddie who is middle aged as opposed to usual "coming of age" novels where the protagonist is adolescent.

Key Themes
  • Justice
  • Community
  • Masculinity
  • Betrayal
  • Rivalry
  • Love
  • Honour/Respect
  • Pride
  • Hardship/poverty struggle
  • Family
  • Outsiders/outcasts

Gender Quotes

"The Guys ain't right" 
"You're just Jealous" "Of him? Boy, you don't think much of me"
Eddie, in noting Rodolpho's abnormalities makes himself feel better. Rodolpho is afterall the younger, more attractive, popular contender. And Eddie sees him as such.

" When am I gonna be your wife again Eddie?" "I ain't been feelin' good. They bother me since they came." "It's been almost three months since you don't feel good; they'r eonly here a couple of weeks. It's three months Eddie."

"Marco goes around like a real man"

"You wait Marco, you see some real fights around here. You ever see any boxing?"

Tries to emasculate Rodolpho "But if I could cook, if I could sing, if I could make dresses I wouldn't be on the waterfront."

Honour and Respect Quotes

"Animal! You [Eddie] go on your knees to me!"

"Marco is face to face wiht Eddie, a strained tension gripping his eyes and jaw, his neck stiff, the chair raised like a weapon over Eddie's head - and he transforms what might appear like a glare of warning into a smile of triumph, and Eddie's grin vanishes as he absorbs  his look" 

"[Eddie] I want my respect!"

"That one! He killed my children! That one stole the food from my children!"

"This is my house not theirs"

"I want my name - Marco's got my name."

"For what you said about me in front of the neighborhood?"

Heritage Quotes
"I am inclined to notice the ruin in things, perhaps because I was born in Italy... I only cam eher when I was 25."

"And now we are quite civilised, quite American." Does this mean forgetting justice and true morality? To become so absorbed in other things?
Justice and Lawful Judgement Quotes

"Oh there were many here who justly shot unjust men. Justice is very important here."

"[Alfieri] Let her go. That's my advice.  You did your bit now it's her life; wish her luck and let her go. Will you do that? Because there's no law, Eddie; make up your mind to it; the law is not interested in this." 

""A lawyer means the law, and in Sicily, from where there fathers came, the law has not been a friendly idea since the Greeks were beaten."

"The truth is holy. Even as I know how wrong he was, and his death useless, I tremble, for I confess that something perversely pure calls to me from his memory."



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About

Part of my A Level English Literature studies, this blog is where I will write about the novels, plays and poems I explore as part of my course and wider reading.